WAW No. 407 arrived today. I ordered it without a drive train so I’ve got a bit of work to do to get it on the road.
Cruised by Cars and Coffee last week. The car people seemed pretty intrigued by my pedal car.
A big box arrived from the Netherlands the other day. IntercityBike finally sent my order containing some pants and another set of front wheels for the DF XL. The pants enclose the front wheels and are supposed to give a nice little speed gain at the higher end. Front wheel clearance is a bit sketchy with the pants so Ymte at IntercityBike recommended a set of narrower offset front wheels.
Ymte provided some very thin tape, Nitto 21, to attach the pants. I decided to try something a little more substantial so I’ve gone with magnets. Here you can see the magnets glued to the pant. Mating magnets are taped to the inside surface of the DF’s interior.
In these photos you can see that I actually did tape the seams using red electrical tape just to be safe.
Since retiring, I’ve been having fun designing and building new pieces for my DF XL. Here’s a little update on these designs.
The idea here is to be able to use the race cap (hood) more often to boost my speed. Up until now, I could only use the race cap on very cold days due to the heat and steam that builds up inside. Adding a new air inlet in the form of a NACA duct to the front access panel should help solve that problem. It definitely moves a lot of air so it succeeds on that goal. Now I need to do some roll down tests to see if the extra drag created by the duct offsets the benefit of running with the race cap. It might turn out to hurt more than it helps. I’ve posted more details here…
Zefal Spin Mirror covers
I decided to go back to the very small stock Zefal Spin mirrors. I never liked the way they looked. I also thought that their aerodynamics could be improved. At the urging of PeterB on BROL, I designed this little mirror cover using Fusion 360. I doubt that it will make any difference at the speeds that I travel ( ~20 – 25mph most of the time), but I think they look a little more finished.
ABS Plastic Heel Bump Guards
I first saw these on my former Milan GT. Then I saw that Ben Dover on BROL had put these on his DF. The heel bumps are the first things to scrape going up driveways. They’re compound shapes so making a guard from flat ABS plastic sheet is a bit tricky. So I took some measurements of the heel bumps and shaped this mold from some rigid foam. This allowed me to heat up the ABS sheet and press it into shape.
The wait begins. I placed an order with Katanga in the Czech Republic for a new WAW velomobile. It should be here in mid January if all goes well. I’ve heard great things about the WAW, but it is a bit on the heavy side. I ordered it with full carbon fiber construction and without rear suspension in order to save weight. If the solid rear end doesn’t work out, rear suspension can be added at a later time. Here’s a photo of a WAW similar to the one I’ve ordered.
My WAW will be this color blue but will have black visible carbon fiber wheel covers (instead of the matching blue). Also the lights in the nose will be laid out a bit differently as shown in the red WAW below.
I’ve recently made a quick decision to sell the Milan GT. I hadn’t planned on selling it so soon, but when I read that a fellow BROL member was planning to order a new one, I started thinking about other velomobiles that I might want to try. I messaged him and we struck a quick deal. The Milan GT is a fast, well-handling velomobile. For some reason, though, I was always a bit faster in the DF XL. So the Milan GT is heading to Connecticut. Now the research starts for the next velomobile.
I’ve been thinking about adding a windscreen to the DF XL. IntercityBike sells one that is attached using velcro. It is a simple shape that sort of fits any velomobile. I believe that it is this one sold for Quests:
I’m sure this works fine but I don’t like the way that it fits nor the use of velcro, which remains stuck to the body even if the windscreen is not in use.
So I came up with a shape specifically to fit the DF XL. Instead of using velcro I’m using magnets. This is a cleaner and more secure way to attach the windscreen. Here are some photos: