Unfortunately, I’ve had to withdraw from my purchase of the new velomobile. (Thanks Doug for being so understanding). This means that I won’t be able to sell the WAW at this time. I apologize to those potential buyers who expressed interest.
Carbon Fiber main section
Carbon/Kevlar nose and tail sections
Visible carbon wheel covers
N4 Nose with SPAI (Stagnation Point Air Intake) and 2 headlights
T3 tail with integrated rear lights
Stowable Katanga race hood
Daylight LEDs and turn signals in mirror caps
Integrated USB accessory plug
Triple 155mm crankset ( 60-39-30 ) – Pedals not included
Alligt bottom bracket holder and post (stock bottom bracket holder also included)
Alligt 60T chainring with integrated chain guard (prevents overshifting)
11-36 10 speed cassette
SRAM X0 10 speed rear derailleur
SRAM TT500 10 speed Bar End shifters
Rear suspension upgrade with chain protector
Includes all of the hardware to revert back to rigid rear end with chain protector
Upgraded Ginkgo front wheels with black, machined 90mm drums
Near new Schwalbe Pro One tires front and rear
Single layer Ventisit seat pad
Reusable Katanga factory wooden crate
Any other components not specified are as supplied by Katanga
Can provide custom vinyl graphics (we’ll have to talk about this)
Custom add-ons (see below)
These parts came out of my workshop – not from Katanga.
The sun cap on the DFXL worked out pretty well. So I thought I’d build one for the WAW. I like the shape of the DF’s so I started with that. It was easier to mount on the WAW than on the DF since the WAW provides very nice clamps on the inside sides of the manhole cover. Here are some photos:
I’ll need to do some testing to make sure that it provides the shade and cooling without hurting the performance too much.
IntercityBike has been experimenting with a sun cap for the DF meant to shield the rider from the sun – not necessarily improve the aerodynamics. Several people have prototypes and have been reporting on them on BentriderOnline. Some people are claiming that the sun cap actually improves the aerodynamics. Here’s an example.
This sounded like a good idea to me. I had thought about making a mold of my race hood for a long time. I’d like to be able to experiment with different hood configurations. With the idea of the sun cap floating around, I decided to start the mold of my factory race hood.
I won’t go into it here, but let it be known that I deserved an F- on that mold. The hood has some tricky shapes and I misjudged the parting lines for making it a 2-piece mold. It took me many hours of hard work to extract my original race hood from my mold. Clearly, I would never be able to use this mold to make a full race hood. But after looking at it a while, I realized that I could at least make a sun cap using this mold. So I made one sun cap, body worked it and painted it. From that piece I made a dedicated, 1 piece sun cap mold.
Once I was able to make the part, I had to come up with a good mounting system. I got fancy designing all kinds of aerodynamic struts. None of my ideas panned out, so I resorted to copying a mounting solution posted by RobertM on BentriderOnline. This solution consisted of 2 round pieces of aluminum tubing with 3D printed plastic attachments. I used his idea of attaching 2 bungees at the rear of the hood to hold it all in place. Here’s my first example. I’ll be testing this soon to make sure that it doesn’t fly off or rattle too much.
I was able to position the struts so that my windscreen was still usable with the sun cap.
Thanks to RobertM for posting such good descriptions and photos on BentriderOnline of his sun cap.
I logged into BROL tonight and checked the classified adds as I usually do. I was surprised to see a 2013 Catrike 700 for sale at an incredibly low price. I couldn’t pass it up. This will be my 5th Catrike 700.
It comes with an extra set of high end wheels and some other very expensive components. I’ll probably use it as a daily driver trike and save the wear and tear on my Monster. I’ll see if my wife happens to like it. If so, I’ll take back the Trice Special and make it my daily driver and give her the 700. I doubt that this will happen. I have a hunch that the 700 will be too laid back for her.
Here’s a photo of the 700 at my house after cleaning it up a bit. I also replaced the later seat cover with a first generation seat cover that I have left from one of my previous 700s. The newer seat covers are about a pound heavier and have a seam (side to side) across the middle. I find the seam to be a bit uncomfortable.
For once I was able to hand off a sold trike directly to the buyer without having to pack and ship it. The buyer came up to Santa Barbara from Riverside to pick up the Micro today. We set the boom length, seat angle, chain length and derailleur settings. We took a short ride to Goleta Beach then remedied a squealing brake before loading it in the truck.
I did receive the Micro and got it going. I was pleased that I was able to adjust it for my size. It’s a fun little trike – very zippy. Since I really don’t need another trike in my collection, I was thinking that maybe my wife would want to adopt it. Unfortunately, I don’t think the hard shell seat will suit her. So… it’s for sale.It has been sold. Check it out here…
I’ve just worked out a deal to obtain a 2001 Trice Micro Light. This is a pretty rare custom built Trice. This will be the 4th custom Trice that I’ve owned (XXL, Monster, Meteor and Micro). It is the smallest Trice ever made having 349 (16″) wheels all around. It remains to be seen if I can make the proper adjustments to fit my 45″ X-Seam. This is the first generation Micro with the mitered / welded cruciform which pre-dated the curved cruciform. It so happens that it’s the exact same color as my Monster and my DFXL – RAL3020 Red. Here are a couple of photos. I’ll post more when it shows up in a few weeks.