Greenspeed Aero Moves On

After a couple of months of owning the Aero, I’ve decided to let it go. The Aero is a light and zippy trike, but doesn’t add anything unique to my current collection of trikes (Monster, SLR and DF XL). The Aero could have been so much better. It is too wide, too short and too high for my tastes.

Plus, I’ve got to say that the build quality is very disappointing for the price Greenspeed is asking. The rims are cheesy single wall. The spoke nipples are exposed to the tube with only a lousy rubber strip protecting the tube. The welds are mediocre. The rear chain stays are just round tubing squashed at the ends to fit the dropouts. There is no place to mount a water bottle cage nor a rear view mirror and on and on…

I was going to put it up for sale on BROL. Then my friend Gregory took it out on a test ride on a recent visit and decided that he really liked it. He said that it “felt” faster than his Catrike 700. So the Aero now lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Greenspeed Aero Arrives

The Black Aero finally arrived this week after delays due to the hurricane in Florida, its prior home. The Aero is a new model from Greenspeed that has been getting rave reviews. I wasn’t looking to buy another trike, but when I happened upon it on BentriderOnline, the price was right so I jumped on it. It came with that unusual strap arrangement replacing the standard mesh seat cover. I’ll probably be switching it back to the mesh. I’m looking forward to comparing it to my SLR. There are more pictures here…


While I was taking photos of the Aero, I decided to drag out all of my trikes for a portrait. Here is my current stable of 3 wheelers. Missing are my Optima Baron low racer bike and Specialized Roubaix diamond frame.


Greenspeed Aero On the Way

A few nights ago, I woke up around 2AM as I often do. I was browsing around the Trikes For Sale forum on BentriderOnline and came across a near-new Greenspeed Aero for sale at an amazing price. It had just been posted a couple of hours prior. Sensing that I might be the first one to notice this find, I jumped on it and bought it.

After a couple of conversations the next morning with the owner, the price with shipping was agreed upon and the money was transferred into his bank account. However, the timing couldn’t be worse. The deal was struck just hours before hurricane Irma hit Florida where the trike lives. Now I’ve got to hope that the seller, the trike and the recumbent shop (doing the shipping) are in decent enough shape to send the trike at some point in the future.

I’m anxious to see how it compares to my current SLR. The SLR is the longer, lower, narrower inspiration for the Aero. My first SLR was really more like the Aero than my current SLR. I had that one built with 349 wheels up front and an elongated rear triangle to accommodate a 406 rear wheel – the same wheel sizes as the Aero. I also had GS modify the steering so both levers activated the steering unlike the stock SLR but exactly like the Aero.

I first saw the Aero prototype at the Recumbent CycleCon in Pomona a few years ago. I tried to buy it but it was already spoken for. Here are some terrible pictures of the prototype.



I don’t have pictures of my trike yet, but here is a stock photo of the Aero.


This photo is from the Bentrider Review of the Aero.



Vinyl Cutter

I recently installed after market fairings on my Honda CBR600RR. I bought factory stickers for it but was disappointed in their quality. So I picked up a USCutter vinyl cutter to make my own. This is a gizmo that acts like a plotter with a knife. I was able to make vinyl stickers for my Honda that are better than factory.


I couldn’t just stop there. I’ve been playing with designing stickers for my DF XL. Here’s one that answers the most often asked question – “What kind of motor do you have in that thing?”


3D Printed Mirror Housings

Today I installed my new mirror housings on the DFXL. I designed them using and printed them in PLA filament on my Tevo Tarantula 3D printer. After coming off the printer, they were finished with a lot of sanding and a bit of 3M spot putty  and painted with color matched spray paint.

The design can be seen in an earlier post. I’ve uploaded the design to


Bill’s A2 Fairing

I had a chance to ride with Bill M. (A2naut on BROL) today. Bill is a welder/fabricator and a proud builder/rider of an Alleweder A2. He was testing out his nearly finished head fairing today on the A2. This fairing is a hand formed compound curved piece of aluminum. There aren’t many guys left that can make a piece like this. Check it out…

More pictures here…