I’m selling this Catrike 700 for my friend Gregory. This 700 started life as an early model but has been heavily upgraded with mostly new 2017 parts. It has a brand new Blue Flame 2017 frame. This color is a a limited edition color from the 2017 winter sale. It is a more eye-catching, brighter blue than the standard Electric Blue color. It also has new spindles, a new tie rod & rod ends, a new chain, a new SRAM GX long cage rear derailleur, a new extra length boom and a new neck rest. Since re-assembling the trike with all of these new parts, it has only been ridden on one 10 mile test ride. Why all the new parts? See the full story at the bottom of the page.
Why is it for sale?
While I had Gregory’s 700 torn apart and waiting for the new parts from Catrike, I loaned him my new (to me) Greenspeed Aero. Gregory fell in love with the Aero and that was it. As it turns out, I was disappointed in the Aero so it wasn’t too hard for me to let it go. He doesn’t feel the need to own 2 trikes so the 700 is up for sale.
Here are the details from front to back
- Brand New 2017 Blue Flame frame (zero scratches or scuffs)
- Shimano triple front derailleur
- Brand New Gold KMC hollow pin chain
- Brand New extra length boom (minus about 1.5 inch)
- FSA CarbonPro 170 triple crankset (52, 39, 30) – pedals not included (Full disclosure: this crankset is mostly aluminum so not as light as a full carbon fiber crankset. But it sure looks cool.)
- Brand New tie rod and rod ends
- Avid BB7 front disc brakes with new brake pads
- Avid brake levers
- Near new SRAM TT 500 10 speed indexed bar end shifters
- Catrike 406 front wheels with near new Durano Plus tires
- Brand New Spindles
- Terracycle twin idlers (just disassembled and cleaned)
- Early 700 seat mesh (just washed, fewer pockets, but lighter)
- Brand New Catrike neck rest
- Catrike (Arkel) frame bags (not shown in all pictures)
- Near new 11-36 SRAM cassette
- Brand new SRAM GX 10 speed long cage rear derailleur
- Carbon fiber 700c rear wheel with blade spokes and Novatec hub and Continental GP Triathlon tire. (full disclosure: It has the silkscreened Zipp logos, but may not be authentic Zipp)
- Stock Catrike 700c rear wheel also included
Price: $1900 with local pickup or $2100 with shipping to the continental US.
Why so many new parts?
I was doing a tuneup on Gregory’s early yellow Catrike 700 when I noticed a crack in the frame. The early 700 frames did not have a gusset on the under side where the boom meets the cruciform. This area was prone to crack. Since Gregory was the original owner, Catrike honored its lifetime warranty on the frame by sending him a new 2017 frame powder coated with the limited edition Blue Flame color.
Not only did Catrike provide a new frame, but they provided new spindles and tie rod with new tie rod ends required for the newer model frame. In addition to the free parts, Gregory decided to freshen up the rest of the trike by buying a new extra length black boom, chain, rear derailleur and neck rest.
A big thank you goes to Dana at Bent Up Cycles for facilitating the frame and parts replacement with Catrike, even though Gregory did not buy the trike from him originally. That kind of service is why I keep going back to Bent Up Cycles to feed my recumbent habit.